Saturday, February 1, 2014

Paradox: For when I am weak, then I am strong

I was reading the book of 2 Corinthians for my daily devotions/quiet time. Last night, I was in 2 Corinthians Chapter 12 - 13. But I just want to zoom in at these particular verses of the book. 

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions,in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
- 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

These verses struck me most and had a lasting impact in my life. Lately, I have been feeling very weak physically. The very cold weather here in the Philippines has put me to frequent cough and cold. I am to blame because I haven't been taking my vitamins for a month now (couldn't be more busy that I don't even have time to take vitamins?). It is the worst time to be sick because requirements and exams are rushing in and out. Deadlines (THESIS DEADLINES) are fast approaching, I have to beat the deadline or else my thesis adviser will beat me, just kidding. My study time and quiet time are also affected because of the flu, it's really bad!

Things in the ministry has not been going on smoothly these past few days. There are a lot of things that has to be done. But we haven't even started doing some of them. We are so much left behind by our schedules and chances are, we will be rushing everything when deadlines are very near. And I don't like that. Everyone has been very busy because with their academics. We are now being swallowed by the requirements in school and responsibilities in other organizations. I have observed a decline in the number of people joining the Monday Campus Evangelism, Fellowships and Bible Studies. When I shared this to Ate Gay Arabit, she comforted me and encouraged to just continue with the ministry and evangelism. After all, victory is not measured by numbers.

I felt the need to stop for a while, reflect, talk to God and just breathe. Things aren't going on as planned lately but this doesn't mean that everything is ruined. I may see it as problematic situation because somehow I forgot that God is always in control, He is sovereign. When challenges came in like a raging sea, I tend to forget that I have a God who is looking after me. The God who holds the universe at the palm of His hand is watching over me. I kept on forgetting that I may be weak but I have a God who is very strong. I may be small for big challenges but I have a bigger and even greater God.

That is why when I came through these verses in 2 Corinthians, I was reminded that if I continue to draw strength from myself, I will definitely run out of it. I was reminded that if I continue to look at how big the challenge is, it might create a blockade that will inhibit me from seeing the greatness of God. I was rebuked by the words of Paul. And I realized that in times like this, I just have to look at Christ, lay everything at His feet and rest in God's promise to be in control. I just have to be still and know that my God is always control. So now I see weakness at a different perspective. I see it not as a state of helplessness and desperation but rather I see it as a great opportunity to experience the bubbling spring of strength coming from God alone. It is a great privilege to solely depend on God and be faithful to Him as He is always faithful to us. God bless us all.



No comments:

Post a Comment